Sligo Under 13s V Creggs RFC Match Report

Whilst depleted in numbers, due to the unavailability of a significant number of their established players, Sligo RFC Under 13s were still able to run out onto the pitch with a good panel of both experienced and new players. Creggs, who had a similar sized squad, had driven up from their own flooded pitches, determined to have a good game in what were cold and wet weather conditions. Unlike the last fixture against Westport, mud did not feature in what proved to be an excellent game of Rugby, watched by supporters from both clubs.

Due to the absences, various Sligo players had to play in positions they did not normally occupy, and forwards became backs, with backs becoming forwards, as the conditions worsened and the game progressed. Sligo were certainly up for the game, and by the time five minutes had elapsed the forwards put Sligo a converted try in front. The battle for possession was with the packs, and Sligo’s forwards were immense in their efforts. Good ball came quickly from scrum and ruck, which Sligo dominated throughout the match, and was rapidly moved to the wings. Each phase resulted in the pack regaining or retaining possession and another converted try by the forwards for Sligo came ten minutes further in.

Defensively each team was now becoming a hard nut to crack, with Creggs defending their try-line as the waves of Sligo players came towards them, and then counter attacking at every opportunity. Sligo’s defence was resolute, however, and at twenty minutes in they ran in their third try. Sligo then lost one of their key centres, who had started the match, even though nursing an injury, and Creggs finally broke through the Sligo defence to score their first try. Both teams were getting wet and cold and Sligo lost another experienced player at half time.

Ten minutes into the second half Sligo ran in another try which, unlike all their first half scores, was not converted. Five minutes later Creggs broke through and ran in their second, which they converted, and then threatened to score for a third time, having broken through the Sligo defence. Good covering by the Sligo backs and support from other players running back, left the Creggs player isolated and brought down, with possession going to Sligo, who burst through the now nearly exhausted Creggs defence to score their final converted try. Again Sligo lost another of their experienced players to injury, but a former substituted player threw of his waterproofs and ran out to replace him.

This match showed Rugby at near its best, and credit has to be given to all the players on both sides for the total commitment that they showed. All of the Sligo Panel took part, as did all of the Creggs panel, with both the experienced and new players on both sides showing those present what truly committed players can achieve. All the Sligo scores came from amongst their forwards (Matt Davey, Leigh Dunne, James O’Hehir), but no one score on either side could be claimed as an individual effort. Particular mention must be given of the new players (Karel, Gabriel, Tyrone, Kevin, Toby, and Aaron) who played with total commitment and no shortage of flair.